The Coleman Red Canyon modified dome tent is another in the list of our best tents for camping. This Coleman is a very reasonably priced modified dome tent capable of holding up to 8 people comfortably. This Colemanhas removable privacy walls which allow you to split up and partition the tent into three separate parts or rooms. This is a very good tent for large families or for extended camping expeditions where the extra large space and storage capacity would come in handy. Measuring 17 x 10 feet, with a center height of 6 feet tall, this is a big tent.
The Red Canyon is another in the lineup of the Coleman family of modified dome tent structures. These modified dome tents are strong shelters, made to withstand the toughest of 3 season weather conditions such as winds and rain. The Coleman Red Canyon is protected by Colemans exclusive weathertec system which is guaranteed to keep you dry in any adverse conditions. They use a number of different wet protection features from the poly coated weatherproofing on the walls, to the taped seams and tub style floors. All of these features combined will assure you of staying dry even in the worst of conditions.
Coleman Red Canyon Features and Specifications
- Exclusive WeatherTec System
- Footprint: 17 feet x 10 feet
- Center Height: 72 inches
- Rooms: up to 3 with the removable privacy walls
- Can sleep up to eight people
- Shock-corded poles for easy and quick setup
- Welcome mat and pockets keep interior tidy
- Access gear or adjust ventilation with Cool-Air port
- Variflo adjustable venting system increases airflow
- Separate storage bags for tents, poles, and stakes
- Easy instructions conveniently sewn onto storage bag
- Leak-Free Seams: In addition to fully taped rainfly seams, the rainfly covers doors and windows and incorporates easy-to-use Velcro frame attachments.
- Weather-Resistant Fabric: Coated polyester fabric combined with anti-wicking thread, webbing, and zippers are designed to keep you dry.
- Protected Seams: Inverted floor seams dramatically increase weather resistance by hiding needle holes inside the tent, away from the elements.
- Waterproof Floors: Welding technology strengthens the tent floor and eliminates needle holes.
- Zipper Protection: Zipper cuff adds protection from the elements to the door.
- Wind Strong Frame: Engineered to be a stronger, more wind-responsive frame by using redesigned poles and guy-out triangles to anchor tents and increase performance.
The Coleman Red Canyon Reviews
The Coleman Red Canyon reviews have generally received very positive ratings from people who have purchased and used it. The online reviews are very good. Many people commented on how spacious it is, although a couple of comments were noted saying that perhaps to be really comfortable, that this was more geared for a maximum of 6 adults. It is possible that 8 adults may be a bit cramped as the manufacturers bases their numbers on a snug fit. Perhaps they should rate these as 6 adults and 2 children, which would be more accurate.
There were some comments about the seams not being 100% watertight but the Coleman manual does say “Seam sealer has not been provided with your tent. For additional protection we recommend seam sealing your tent prior to camping”. We think that is good advice to follow with any tent. The biggest complaint if you can call it a complaint from a few people is that this is really more of a summer tent, and not warm enough for the colder seasons. It is rated as a 3 season tent. The tent is very well ventilated and perhaps that is the reason some people found themselves getting cold at night. In our opinion, you should be prepared for all kinds of temperature changes when going camping. Perhaps a warmer sleeping bag would have done the trick for those campers.